[Gdal-dev] vrt & overviews

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Thu Nov 10 09:38:23 EST 2005

[Sorry if this message appears twice, I accidentally sent it using my
other mail account which is not subscribe to the list...]

Hi all,

before I start generating overviews for all of my SRTM data, the following
question: when the sourcebands of a VRT file have overviews, will these
overviews be used when accessing the VRT file? E.g. I have one VRT file
which mosaics all my SRTM data tiles and which I use to cut and/or warp
the pieces of elevation data that I need. Does it make sense to generate
overviews for each tile, so these will be used when resampling the vrt
file (like using gdal_translate to cut a piece of srtm at a much lower
resolution)?

Regards,
Vincent.