[Gdal-dev] sterea projection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 10 11:40:02 EST 2005

On 11/10/05, Jan Hartmann <j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl> wrote:
> I get both! Does this mean that I always get the "sterea" projection,
> even when I ask for "stere"  and that the "towgs" parameter is never
> used, not with epsg:28992 and not when explicitly added?

Jan,

OK, that means that internally use are using sterea.  So if you want
to compare stere results, you will need to use an old copy of GDAL.

The GDAL logic for parsing +init=epsg:nnn ignores any other
input in your proj definitions.  "overrides" are not allowed.

This is another manifestation of GDAL having it's own PROJ.4
parser and having to processing PROJ.4 into WKT before going
back to PROJ.4.  But if you grab the epsg:28992 definition from
the epsg init file, and put it all on the commandline (adjusted
as needed) you should be able to do some comparisons of
different towgs84 values.