[Gdal-dev] Arc Binary Coverages

Craig Miller craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Mon Nov 14 18:29:04 EST 2005

Matt,

A coverage contains one data layer, along with different types of topology.
These would all continue to be accessible if the Workspace was considered
the datasource.  They would all have the same name, but a different type
attribute.  Perhaps we would have to append something to the coverage name
to make it clear since OGIS (and as a result OGR) doesn't support as many
types as the Arc Coverage model, but rather maps some of the types to a
simple feature.  A name such as <layer> <type> would work.  For example,
"Streams (ARC)".  This appears to be more intuitive, informative, unique,
and closer to the true name of the coverage that always using "ARC".

The workspace is also where the attribute database is stored and it contains
information such as Librarian data and Image Catalog data.  Right now, there
is no way to add support for Librarian to the driver (which is actually
where I started looking at this).

I was thinking that regions will continue to be supported with a name such
Lake_Wenatchee_Basin (region)"

I'm still pretty confident that the two data models map perfectly onto each
other with exception to the fact that OGIS/OGR have smaller set of supported
layer types.  Naming conventions seems like an easy way to work around this
and still preserve the simple features nature of the OGR library.

--Craig