[Gdal-dev] VB6 problems gdal_fw.dll reference

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 23 11:27:47 EST 2005

On 11/22/05, Card, West <West.Card at cte.aecom.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use your lib's within VB6  but I am unable to get anything to
> work.  I tried the VB6 test program but for some reason VB states that it
> can't create a reference to the gdal_fw.dll.  Is there some reason for this
> that I am missing?

West,

My approach to dealing with this is to edit the starting
directory of the VB6 icon to be the FWTools directory.
That ensures that the gdal_fw.dll and all related DLLs
are found without any problem.

Another approach might be to dump all DLLs from the
FWTools\bin directory into windows\system32, but I
abhor doing that, so I'm not encouraging it.

I am not exactly sure how this is supposed to be addressed
in a "proper" VB6 app depending on external DLLs.  Note
it isn't enough to include the specific paths to the gdal_fw.dll
in the vb6 declarations, because gdal_fw.dll in turn depends
on alot of DLLs.

PS. I have cc:ed the gdal-vb6-appdev list in case there is
better advice there.  That would be the best place to discuss
VB6 issues.