[Gdal-dev] VB6 problems gdal_fw.dll reference

Gerald Buckmaster buckmasterjunior at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 13:46:07 EST 2005

  West,

  You are seeing a portion of this reply twice, as I neglected to reply back everyone the first time.

  I had the same problem about a month ago.  If I recall right, adding the path to gdal_fw.dll to the system variable 'PATH' and restarting VB6 seemed to do the trick.

  There still exists the problem everytime you upgrade FWTools, you would need to change your PATH to reflect the location of gdal_fw.dll.

  This "need" leads to a number of possible "fixes".

  One might be a modification to Frank's installation script - is it possible to find and replace an existing FWTools entry in the system variable PATH automatically in the FWTools installation script?

  Another "fix" might be implementing a installation strategy that preserves a generic directory, i.e. FWTools vice FWTools1.0.0a3.  You would still have a need to set PATH, but it would only need to be accomplished once.  Of course an uninstall would need to remove the entry as well.

  Another "fix" could be to determine which GDAL libraries are critical to your VB6 app and implement a custom installation of GDAL...though this could be a configuration nightmare if done without a thorough plan, and MIT licensing may preclude a "partial" installation.

  What do you think Frank?  Are you using MSI for FWTools installation?

  Buck

  BTW - I recently started a Yahoo! group called gdal-vb6-appdev.  Not very many members, but it might be good to share VB6-gdal programming tricks and tips there.

"Card, West" <West.Card at cte.aecom.com> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I am trying to use your lib’s within VB6  but I am unable to get anything to work.  I tried the VB6 test program but for some reason VB states that it can’t create a reference to the gdal_fw.dll.  Is there some reason for this that I am missing?

  West L. Card
  Admin Assistant.
  T 509.535.5454 F 509.535.5725

  CTE 140 S. Arthur St.