[Gdal-dev] Extracting Geo Info From GeoTiff's

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 13 11:41:48 EDT 2005

On 10/13/05, Theuns Heydenrych <Theuns at softsim.co.za> wrote:
> I did read through the source code to get a feeling where to start.
> As far as I can figure out , I have to use the function GTIFGetDefn to get a
> definition structure back with the information , but the function obviously
> requires a handle to the Geotiff file.
> This handle can be obtained from using the GTIFNew Function.

Theuns,

You are digging into too low a level.  Normally you would
call GetProjectionRef() on the GDALDataset to get the coordinate
system information (expressed in OGC Well Known Text), and
GetGeoTransform() to get the affine transformation between pixel/line
and georeferenced coordinates.

You aren't supposed to be calling any of the GTIF functions directly.

If you need detailed and exact information about the GeoTIFF as
the original geotiff tags then you should likely be using libgeotiff
directly.

> Disclaimer:
> The information contained in this communication is private and confidential
> and is intended solely for use by the individual/individuals or entity to
> whom it is addressed.  Kindly notify the sender immediately by   e-mail if
> you have received this communication by mistake and delete this e-mail from
> your system.  Any unauthorized use or interception of this communication, or
> the review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking any
> action in reliance upon the contents, by individuals or entities other than
> those intended, is strongly prohibited.

Such a disclaimer is pretty lame on a public mailing list.  I would
encourage you to pass on to your management that it makes your
organization look ... disfunctional.