[Gdal-dev] Problem building with static libproj4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 10:54:14 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Eric Dönges <eric.doenges at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've encountered a problem when trying to build CVS GDAL using
> '--with-static-proj4=<path to proj4 4.4.9 build directory>'. It seems
> that a recent change
> to the configure script has GDAL looking for libproj in <path
> specified to option>/src
> instead of <path specified to option>/src/.libs, where libproj4
> (version 4.4.9) actually
> builds the static library. Editing the configure script to use the
> correct path is
> simple enough, but I'm wondering if that is the correct solution.

Eric,

I have reviewed the last 60 or so changes to the configure.in
script, and I can't find any sign of a change with regard to the
.libs and linking.  There is a rule to check with linking against

    if test "$PROJ_STATIC" = "no"; then
      unset ac_cv_lib_proj_pj_init
      LIBS="-L$with_static_proj4/src/.libs $PROJ_LIB $ORIG_LIBS"
      AC_CHECK_LIB(proj,pj_init,PROJ_STATIC=yes,PROJ_STATIC=no,)
    fi

I'm not sure why that wouldn't work.   I don't see anything obvious
to change, and building against a PROJ.4 build tree (rather than
an install tree) is not a common scenario so for now I am not planning
to do anything.