[Gdal-dev] How can I get coordinate system and projection from shape files?

lky moon_inwell at 163.com
Mon Oct 31 03:57:49 EST 2005

Hello,everyone:

I'm a new learner of the gdal. During my study, I met some problems. I hope I can find help here.

I found these is one sentence "If a .prj files in old Arc/Info style or new ESRI OGC WKT style is present, it will be read and used to associate a projection with features." in \ogr\dev_shapefile.html.

And I found there are some *.prj¡¡files with the same name shapefile in directory C:\arcgis\arcexe83\Reference Systems(The directory which I install arcinfo).In the ArcMap, that the frame map file is *.mxt.

I try to use the OGRSFDriverRegistrar::Open function to open these *.prj files but I failed.

So I have the following questions.

1. Who can explain the use of these *.prj files in this directory? Which shapefiles do they support? Or they only support project mode for AcrMap?
2. What is the relation with the *.prj and *mxt files?
3. How can I read the coordinate system and projection from the *.prj files? And whether this prj file support the coordinate system and projection for the same name shapefile or for the shapefiles in the same directory?

Thanks a lot.

Kunyang Li