[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.3.0 on Solaris 2.7

Frédéric Trastour support at geoimage.fr
Thu Sep 1 05:54:15 EDT 2005

Thanks for your answers.

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to build GDAL 1.3.0 on Solaris 2.7 - sparc - gcc 3.3.2
>>
>> After basic build, using built-in librairies (tiff, jpeg, ...), and external
>> hdf4, xerces and sqlite.
>>
>> Now I'am trying to add GEOS and ECW support.
>>
>>     - GEOS : What version of GEOS is supported ? is 2.1.4 OK ?

>Frédéric,

>GEOS 2.0.x or 2.1.x should work.

OK, 2.1.4 is OK.

>>     - ECW : I have downloaded the SDK :
>>             ECW JPEG 2000 SDK Source Distribution
>>             Version 3.2 Beta 1
>>             Date : 11 June 2005
>>      and compiled it, but It doesn't work...the example programs hang
(infinite
>> loop over yield)
>>      Does anyone has successfully  compiled the SDK on Solaris ?

>I can't say that I have tried it myself on Solaris, but there are some
>thread-lock-up issues in the POSIX logic that *might* affect Solaris.
>You ought to look through the ECW SDK Forums at ermapper.com and
>look for patches by Bill.  Or, if you can wait, hold out for 3.2 final (or 3.3
>I think they plan to call it).

>Good luck,

After applying Bill's patch and trying some other changes, the problem
is not solved. I have posted a bug report to ermapper...

In order to get at least decompression for ecw, I have downloaded
the "ECW Decompression SDK For Solaris" (precompiled).

The examples of this distribution compile and are working.

So, I am trying to compile GDAL 1.3.0 with this distribution but
this doesn't seem easy :(
GDAL 1.3.0 includes support for JP2 and write support for ECW and this
can't be desactived via buid directive.

Perhaps can I use an older version of the ECW driver ?  Any idea about
which version of GDAL I can extract an old readonly ECW driver ?

Best regards,
Frédéric.