[Gdal-dev] downsampling shapefiles ?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sat Sep 10 04:11:44 EDT 2005

Chapman, Martin kirjoitti:

>I agree.  It would be nice to be able to render fewer points when my map
>is zoomed way out.  I think arcmap does that kind of thing.  How does a
>geometry simplification algorithm work?  Does it look for linear
>patterns in the geometry and then somehow eliminate points based on some
>sort of angle/distance tolerance?

This might be one of the best available proprietary technologies:
http://www.idevio.com/ravegeoinfo.htm

It is interesting that there is no references on this website. I made a
quick search for these algorithms and this quote is telling: "There
exists many different approaches and plenty of methods." (Andujar. 1999
Geometry simplifacation.) and this is just for curve simplification. For
curve simplification I glanced at this: "Near-Linear Time Approximation
Algorithms for Curve Simplification in Two and Three Dimensions. by
Agarwal et al 2002." and it is difficult for me to understand quickly
what is the principle but the algorithm is there and it has been
implemented at least by this guy: http://www.cs.duke.edu/~wys/curvesimp/

I think the first question to ask is: precompute the simple geometries
or compute them in real-time? The problem is also not just point
elimination, for example you might want to collapse several linestrings
or polygons into one linestring or polygon. But I see the need when I
look at how slowly large vector datasets are rendered.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics