[Gdal-dev] Testing creating and opening raster datasets

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Sep 13 17:19:33 EDT 2005

Hi, below is an output from my test script for gdal.pm. It goes through
all available drivers and all announced datatypes, and creates a dataset
and then opens it and checks if the size is ok. Looks good, only minor
issues:

- What does the "unsupported combination.." mean and how to detect it
before creating a dataset?
- ENVI hdr reports that it can create "UInt32Float32" datatypes, this is
a bug in envidataset.cpp:1375.
- Atlantis MFF2 (HKV) Raster announces that it can create datasets of
more types than it actually can.
- It takes a bit of guessing (I hard coded that into the test script)
what filename to give to the Open function to make it succeed. Is the
extension available somewhere in the metadata? (sorry, too lazy to look
now).

Ari

--->  Virtual Raster
Byte: ok (only create)
Int16: ok (only create)
UInt16: ok (only create)
Int32: ok (only create)
UInt32: ok (only create)
Float32: ok (only create)
Float64: ok (only create)
CInt16: ok (only create)
CInt32: ok (only create)
CFloat32: ok (only create)
CFloat64: ok (only create)

--->  GeoTIFF
Byte: ok
UInt16: ok
Int16: ok
UInt32: ok
Int32: ok
Float32: ok
Float64: ok
CInt16: ok
CInt32: ok
CFloat32: ok
CFloat64: ok

--->  National Imagery Transmission Format
Byte: ok
UInt16: ok
Int16: ok
UInt32: ok
Int32: ok
Float32: ok
CFloat32: not ok (create failed)
Unsupported combination of PVTYPE(C) and NBPP(64).
CFloat64: not ok (create failed)
Unsupported combination of PVTYPE(C) and NBPP(12).

--->  Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
Byte: ok
Int16: ok
UInt16: ok
Int32: ok
UInt32: ok
Float32: ok
Float64: ok
CFloat32: ok
CFloat64: ok

--->  ELAS
Byte: ok
Float32: ok
Float64: ok

--->  In Memory Raster
Byte: ok (only create)
Int16: ok (only create)
UInt16: ok (only create)
Int32: ok (only create)
UInt32: ok (only create)
Float32: ok (only create)
Float64: ok (only create)
CInt16: ok (only create)
CInt32: ok (only create)
CFloat32: ok (only create)
CFloat64: ok (only create)

--->  MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap
Byte: ok

--->  PCIDSK Database File
Byte: ok
UInt16: ok
Int16: ok
Float32: ok

--->  ILWIS Raster Map
Byte: ok
Int16: ok
Int32: ok
Float64: ok

--->  Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)
Byte: ok
UInt16: ok

--->  ENVI .hdr Labelled
Byte: ok
Int16: ok
UInt16: ok
Int32: ok
UInt32Float32: not ok (create failed silently)
Float64: ok
CFloat32: ok
CFloat64: ok

--->  ESRI .hdr Labelled
Byte: ok
Int16: ok
UInt16: ok
Float32: ok

--->  PCI .aux Labelled
Byte: ok
Int16: ok
UInt16: ok
Float32: ok

--->  Atlantis MFF Raster
Byte: ok
UInt16: ok
Float32: ok
CInt16: ok
CFloat32: ok

--->  Atlantis MFF2 (HKV) Raster
Byte: ok
Int16: ok
UInt16: ok
Int32: not ok (create failed)
Attempt to create HKV file with currently unsupported data type (Int32).
UInt32: not ok (create failed)
Attempt to create HKV file with currently unsupported data type (UInt32).
CInt16: ok
CInt32: ok
Float32: ok
Float64: not ok (create failed)
Attempt to create HKV file with currently unsupported data type (Float64).
CFloat32: ok
CFloat64: not ok (create failed)
Attempt to create HKV file with currently unsupported data type (CFloat64).

--->  VTP .bt (Binary Terrain) 1.3 Format
Int16: ok
Int32: ok
Float32: ok

--->  Image Data and Analysis