[Gdal-dev] Imagine overviews option

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Sep 16 14:35:40 EDT 2005

>>> Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> 9/16/2005 11:24:25 AM >>>
>On 9/16/05, Chapman, Martin <MChapman at sanz.com> wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> Can you add a new method that lets you specify the overview format type
>> (like void SetPyramidFormat(int nFormatTypeId); or something)?  That
>> would be really handy. :)
>
>Martin,
>
>I gather you are suggesting this be a method on the GDALDataset?
>I am pretty hesitant to add new virtual methods on the GDALDataset
>unless I think they are really important to the data / access model.
>
>The CPLSetConfigOption() provides a mechanism to control it, but not
>in a dataset specific manner.  Were you wanting to be able to request
>particular datasets to use one kind of overviews, and particular others
>to use a different kind of overviews?
>
>I think I might be better off extending the BuildOverview method to
>include an options list.

Frank et al--

Erdas Imagine itself supports the creation and use of .rrd files alongside any raster format that Imagine supports.  I think GDAL/Imagine users would benefit from an  overview type selection mechanism that is not tied to a particular raster file format, perhaps by extending the BuildOverviews method as you've suggested.

--Ken Boss
  MN DNR Forestry