[Gdal-dev] building gdal on solaris

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 21 09:55:25 EDT 2006

Peter.Rushforth at statcan.ca wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I ran configure --without-static, which
> successfully got past the ar error ( I did add /usr/ccs/bin
> where ar is to see if that did anything, but I still got the
> error).  Anyhow, now I have a problem with an empty BINDINGS
> variable set in GDALmake.opt, which causes the following failure:
>
> I will try --without-libtool as you suggested.
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/bilbo05/rushpet/gdal/gdal-1.3.1'
> GNUmakefile:44: warning: overriding commands for target `libgdal.la'
> GNUmakefile:40: warning: ignoring old commands for target `libgdal.la'
> make[1]: `libgdal.la' is up to date.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/bilbo05/rushpet/gdal/gdal-1.3.1'
> (cd swig; make build)
> make[1]: Entering directory `/bilbo05/rushpet/gdal/gdal-1.3.1/swig'
> for dir in ; do (cd $dir; make build ); done
> /bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `;' unexpected
> make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/bilbo05/rushpet/gdal/gdal-1.3.1/swig'
> make: *** [swig-target] Error 2

Peter,

I'm sorry this is so hard!  Would you consider upgrading to GDAL 1.3.2b1?
I think this BINDINGS problem is fixed there.  In the past fixes for problems
like this have just been rolled into CVS head.  In this case it means that
folks report the same error for months and months till the next full release.
It is clear that we need "stable branches" for GDAL into which we can roll
safe bug fixes to get out point releases while trunk development continues.

Trying GDAL 1.3.2b1 would also help ensure that GDAL 1.3.2 isn't published
with too many problems!

   http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal-1.3.2b1.tar.gz