[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal for ubuntu

Neil Best nbest at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 25 09:30:12 EDT 2006

Hey, Debian and Ubuntu lovers, remember this thread?  I thought I would
spend some time researching package management again recently to see
what I could learn about the status of bleeding edge gdal with respect
to Ubuntu Dapper with an eye on Perl bindings.  Here's a report:

Downloaded gdal-cvs-2006.08.11 from maptools.org

neil at gandalf:~/src/gdal/gdal-cvs-2006.08.11$ debuild -us -uc -b
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is gdal
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 1.3.2-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Francesco Paolo Lovergine
<frankie at debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
  fakeroot debian/rules clean
# reminiscence to old procedure of building man pages, will now created
# by doxygen. This rm will be deleted in further releases of gdal
sh -c "if (test -d man/man1) then rm -r man/man1; fi"
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
/usr/bin/make distclean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/neil/src/gdal/gdal-cvs-2006.08.11'
GNUmakefile:4: GDALmake.opt: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `config.status', needed by
`GDALmake.opt'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/src/gdal/gdal-cvs-2006.08.11'
make: [clean-unpatched] Error 2 (ignored)
dh_clean build-stamp configure-stamp
dpatch  deapply-all
ogrili2layer.cpp not applied to ./ .
libname not applied to ./ .
rm -rf patch-stamp patch-stampT debian/patched
  debian/rules build
test -d debian/patched || install -d debian/patched
dpatch  apply-all
applying patch libname to ./ ... ok.
applying patch ogrili2layer.cpp to ./ ...patch: **** malformed patch at
line 18:   * Revision 1.2  2006/06/22 09:26:42  frankie

  failed.
make: *** [patch-stamp] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 768:
dpkg-buildpackage failed!

[ Maybe this has been fixed since I tried it.  --NB ]

Downloaded gdal-1.3.2 and downgraded libxerces

neil at gandalf:~/src/gdal/gdal-1.3.2$ debuild -us -uc -b
. . .
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_movefiles
dh_movefiles: debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man1/gdal_merge.py.1 not found
(supposed to put it in python-gdal)
dh_movefiles: debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man1/pct2rgb.py.1 not found
(supposed to put it in python-gdal)
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 768:
dpkg-buildpackage failed!

neil at gandalf:~/src/gdal/gdal-1.3.2$ ./configure --with-perl
--with-grass=/usr/lib/grass  # GRASS from Dapper repos
. . .
neil at gandalf:~/src/gdal/gdal-1.3.2$ make
. . .
neil at gandalf:~/src/gdal/gdal-1.3.2$ sudo checkinstall -D make install
. . .
neil at gandalf:~/src/gdal/gdal-1.3.2$ gdalinfo --version
GDAL 1.3.2.0, released 2006/05/02

So building from source seems to be fine, but the debian/ files have
some problems, it seems.  I am interested in helping address these
issues, but I'm not really sure where to start.  Maybe my experience
exposes the problems to those who can read the signs.  In general I am
interested in bringing the latest-and-greatest GIS tools to Ubuntu.
Please let me know how I can help.

Neil