[Gdal-dev] gdalwarp reprojection shift

dmbaker dmbaker at cox.net
Thu Aug 31 10:31:48 EDT 2006

Wim,

I ran into the same issue while writing a .NET GUI front end to GdalWarp.  I
too use the FWTools build of GdalWarp but was calling GdalWarp directly from
my C# code.  The images were being transformed, but did not match the Public
Land Survey grid I was overlaying (NAD83 UTM Zone 14 meters to NAD27
Oklahoma North).  The grid was offset a significant number of feet from the
transformed image.  As hinted at in the FAQ’s at
http://proj.maptools.org/faq.html, though the FWTools build of GdalWarp has
support for datum shifting built in, if it cannot find the shift files then
the shift process is skipped.

To fix the problem I had to set several environment variables to the
location of the shift files.  I looked at the FWTools startup batch file and
set the same environment variables it does.  Those are:

PROJ_LIB
GEOTIFF_CSV
GDAL_DATA

You must make sure the paths to the various data files are set in these
environment variables.  I am not sure all these need to be set, but for
safety I have.  I hope this helps.

David