[Gdal-dev] Support for LIDAR data, LAS format?

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 02:31:04 EST 2006

Hey all,

 The latest version of the python LAS->shapefile converter (with some
changes thanks to Carl) are available at
http://perrygeo.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gis-bin/pylas.py. It could be
extended to export to other vector formats than shapefiles with a
little effort.

Ideally the LAS converter could be made into an OGR driver - the LAS
format is well documented so, with some time and motivation, it would
certainly be feasible.

Since LAS is essentially just vector point data, I don't really see a
GDAL driver as being appropriate. You need to apply some interpolation
routine to the point elevation values before you have a continuous
raster surface such as a GeoTiff.

- matt