[Gdal-dev] RFC 9: ATL Based COM Interface

ivan at ilucena.net ivan at ilucena.net
Mon Dec 4 01:12:45 EST 2006

Folks,

This message is about a RFC proposal that I have prepared and placed at http://www.gdal.org/rfc9_com.html.

I understand that the interest in a COM interface is limited to Windows developers only but it goes way beyond just one programming language as shown in the source code samples.

That said I believe there is enough interest for this development, because a COM interface will expose GDAL to a large number of programming environment through a common interface and a unified documentation, extending the use of GDAL to a bigger audience.

As developers we hardly have the option to choose our programming-language-of-preference when dealing with legacy code. But the idea is that as long as COM is supported in the programming environment GDAL should be supported too, with the same behavior, same methods names, same parameters name, and parameter order.

Therefore I am looking for a +1 from the GDAL Project Management Committee members to go ahead and place the current implementation on the GDAL source repository and proceed with the development.

Thank you in advance for your attention,

Ivan Lucena

---
PS. I have nothing against UNIX or other OS. I have worked with Solaris, AIX, IRIX, and others UNIX for years (89-99) and I have just replaced my Red Hat by Ubuntu, so let’s see what I can do with that...