[Gdal-dev] RFC 9: ATL Based COM Interface

Ivan Lucena ivan at ilucena.net
Mon Dec 4 23:55:07 EST 2006

Hi Mateusz,

I think I lost one e-mail where will ask about threading model.

I am using "Single-Threaded Apartments".

> I hope you don't mind I'll join this discussion and share some comments:
>
> >  3) What build environments will be supported? Only visual studio?  If so,
> >     what versions?

Of course we want you to join in the discussion.

> ATL is usable only with Visual C++ compiler.
> It is not possible to build ATL-based stuff with GCC (MinGW) or any
> other compilers.

Yes, I believe so.

But the use of ATL is accidental, not essential.

I mean, we can use other Windows C++ compiler to make a COM server.

It just seams natural to use Microsoft because this the one we use most of the time to develop gdal drivers and utilities.

> > My understanding is that the C# bindings are accessable from any .net
> > language.
>
> I believe so too.
>
> > So it seems that the COM interfaces will mainly be of interest to Delphi
> > developers - is that right?
>
> There is also possible target client in Web components like ActiveX
> controls for Web. Also Visual Basic 6 could use it.
> Certainly, .NET and native C/C++ coders can be COM clients as well.

That is something cool too. You can access it from ASP, ASP.Net projects too.