[Gdal-dev] 12 bit Jp2k image questions.

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 11:13:23 EST 2006

Hi List,
after my last exam, I'm back working on GDAL ImageIO integration proposal.

I have some questions...
I'm using a 12 bit Jpeg2k sample, which shows up fine in Java using the
ImageIO pure Java reader based on JJ2000.

When opening this image with OpenEV or using gdalinfo, it says that the
image is 8 bit.
When using JAVA GDAL Bindings the image seems to be 16 bit since the Data
Type we get is *GDT_UInt16* . With no surprise the displayed image is darker
than expected.

Why such a difference? (We are using ERMapper jpeg2k driver on all these
experiments)

As an aside, is it normal that I do not get any metadata back using the Java
Bindings for this jp2 image? I iwas hoping to get information about the
image type directly from metadata.

What can I do to know in advance from GDAL that this image is 12 bit?

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Daniele