[Gdal-dev] Can't configure GDAL for FreeBSD 5.5

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Dec 16 19:21:52 EST 2006

Dnia N Grudnia 17 2006, 1:02 am, vic at telerem.ru napisał(a):

> Thank you
> But autogen.sh doesn't work on my computer:
>
> aip2# ./autogen.sh
> + aclocal -I ./m4
> aclocal: not found
> + autoheader
> autoheader: not found
> + autoconf
> autoconf: not found

If you're building software from source, GNU Autoconf,
GNU Automake and GNU Libtool packages are needed.
If you don't want to install these packages,
you should try to use binary distribution of GDAL for your system,
instead of building on your own.

As I see, there are some packages for FreeBSD:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/graphics.html#gdal-1.3.1

> But I think error in other place, where created next string
> ------------------------------- start code
> aip2# grep ">&6\B" configure
> echo "${ECHO_T}no" >&6LIBZ
>   echo "${ECHO_T}no" >&6LIBZ
> echo "${ECHO_T}setting DODS root directory to $with_sqlite" >&6_
> ------------------------------- end code
>
> I try to find there in 'configure.in', but can't :(

And you won't. configure is a generated file (using tools already revealed
as missing on your system).
The configure.in + BIG NUMBER OF MACROS + processing tools = configure
script.

So, hacking configure is highly not recommended unless you really
know what you are doing and you can act as a human
version of GNU Autoconf :-)

So, I believe it's much easier to:
- install packages I listed
- change configure.in
- re-generated configure from configure.in using ./autogen.sh
- use your brand new and *valid* ./configure

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net