Fwd: [Gdal-dev] ECW JPEG 2000 SDK 3.3 RC2 now online

Tom Lynch tflynch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:54:43 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

    Rats.  Still not working on Mac OS X.  Trace/BPT Trap error.  This is
    on 10.4/GCC 4 and 10.3/GCC 3.3 (at least I finally got it to build on
    10.3).  Built with the Gnu configure method, static libecwj2, dynamic
    libNCS* trio.  I even tried the examples this time, thinking GDAL
    might be causing problems.

    Was this one of the major problems you mentioned?  Or are you still
    working on the Mac OS X issue?  Do you have any idea yet what the
    cause is?

William,

Sounds like it.  I have seen that error during compressions on
MacOS X.   MacOS X has some known oddities in its POSIX threads
support, my current theory is that is breaking some assumptions made
by our portable threading code.  I have already had to do a couple of
evil things in there to make decompression support work correctly.

The Qmake files included in the build are expected to be deprecated in
future releases, but it's reasonably certain building with them
wouldn't fix this issue in any case.

Unfortunately, I will be offline for most of next week, and at this
point I can't give you an ETA on a fix.  It is on my agenda, because
most of the serious issues that have occurred with libecwj2 group
around the portable threading code.  It may be in need of more drastic
changes than the hacks that have occurred up to this point :-)

If you are interested in investigating and possibly fixing the problem
yourself, check out the files

$LIBECWJ2/Source/C/NCSUtil/thread.c
$LIBECWJ2/Source/C/NCSUtil/mutex.c

My first thought was that a reimplementation for MacOS X in terms of
Carbon multiprocessing services or mach threads might be in order.

--
Tom Lynch
Development, ER Mapper
Email:      tom.lynch at ermapper.com