[Gdal-dev] geotiff "pixel is point" issue?

Tim Beckmann tbeckman at usgs.gov
Wed Feb 22 12:37:51 EST 2006

Hi,

I've been looking at using gdal_translate to convert an HDF4 image to
geotiff.  During my investigation, I happened to notice that the gdal
geotiff driver might not be handling the "pixel is point" verses "pixel is
area" distinction properly.

If I understand things properly, the gdal default for pixel coordinates is
the same as geotiff "pixel is area".  The upper-left image corner
specifies the upper-left corner of the upper-left pixel, and the
bottom-right image corner specifies the lower-right corner of the
lower-right pixel of the image.

According to
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/spec/geotiff2.5.html#2.5.2, the
"pixel is point" option changes how the coordinates in the geotiff file
are interpretted so that the image corner points are relative to the
center of the pixels instead of the edges.

I don't see anything in the geotiff driver that is handling the "pixel is
point" case to properly fix up the affine transformation coefficients.  Am
I missing something?

Also, it would be nice if a "pixel is point" option could be passed to the
geotiff driver when generating a geotiff output. (Assuming my
interpretation of pixel is point/area is correct).  That way the corners
passed to the process could be relative to the center of the pixel if that
is what is currently available.

Thanks
Tim

Tim Beckmann
Software Project Lead
Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC)
Contractor to the USGS/EROS
Sioux Falls, SD 57198
605-594-2521    Phone
605-594-6940    Fax