[Gdal-dev] unit_of_measure

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jun 5 11:54:47 EDT 2006

Chapman, Martin wrote:
> In the data file unit_of_measure.csv, what do the columns FACTOR_B and
> FACTOR_C represent?  Is one of them meters per unit?

Martin,

I think "factor_b/factor_c" (ie treating them as a ratio) gives the
multiplier between meters and the units in question.  I believe that this
ratio is used so that some units can be defined more precisely in terms of
the original definition.  So, a US survey inch is defined as being 1/39.37
of a meter.  And a US Survey foot is 12 of these so 12/39.37.