[Gdal-dev] ng python bindings

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Wed Jun 28 03:43:26 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Vincent Schut wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wondered (after some resultless google searching): is there some howto
>> lingering somewhere on how to build, install and use the ng python
>> bindings?
>
> Vincent,
>
> On linux/unix it *should* be sufficient to configure using the
> "--with-ngpython --without-python" options.  Then build and install.
Sounds good!
Probably the lack of Numeric/Numpy support was what made me doubt a
correct install earlier, as I assumed that the compatibility of the ng
bindings with the old ones involved Numeric too.

>> Next to that, I remember having seen some messages come by on the numpy
>> mailing list about having the gdal python ng bindings use numpy instead
>> of numeric as it's supported array library. Because I'm using numpy
>> mostly today, I wondered if this will really be the case, and if there
>> is already any progress on having gdal bindings that natively support
>> numpy instead of Numeric.
>
> Mateusz has not yet completed the work on numpy support for the NG
> bindings.
> I believe currently the ng bindings lack integration with numpy or
> numeric.
> So, you might want to stick to the old bindings for a few more weeks till
> the upgrade is ready.
I'll wait till the numpy integration is ready then. And then I'll be a
happy (hopefully) beta tester.
Thanks for the update.