[Gdal-dev] Error compiling gdal with MrSid support in ubuntu linux

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 30 16:47:38 EST 2006

Mikael Schröder wrote:
> This worked out fine but I found that I also needed to  compile
> "libgeos" withe the same compiler, to get "libgdal" with ogr working.

Mikael,

Right, GEOS and other C++ packages will all need to be compiled with
roughly the same version of gcc.

> Unfortunately I did not manage to compile gdal with both MrSid and ECW
> with gcc 3.2. So I disabled ECW for now... (any tips on this?)

Well, I've built the ECW SDK with gcc 3.2 without problems, so you
will need to be more specific if you need help.

> When everything was compiled and installed I run:
> $ gdalinfo --formats     to se if my newly installed packages were
> functioning. Unfortunately I got the same error message as before the
> installation, as me and the wrong one as root (se below). So I suppose
> that my previous cvs-source-compiled "gdal" that I manage to install but
> never got functioning is now somehow disturbing my system.
> It seems my system is not responding on the gdal-package installation,
> so how do I disable / uninstall my previously cvs-source-compiled and
> installed "gdal" ?
> I found no: "make uninstall". Or how do I change the system settings so
> it will use my now correct libgdal-package instead of the source
> compiled one?

You would basically need to remove it manually or install over it.

eg.
rm /usr/local/lib/libgdal*