[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 8 11:15:14 EDT 2006

Bill Binko wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I'm not a Subversion expert (I've used it as a client only).  However, I
> think this can be solved using a Hook Script ( see
> http://subversion.tigris.org/tools_contrib.html#hook_scripts )
>
>>From what I've seen, svn calls hooks pre- and post-commit, and they
> provide both a command-line toolset and language bindings (primarily
> Perl & Python) to manipulate the SVN system.
>
> That means that you could write a pre-commit script that added the
> properties if the file was of a certain type (.c, etc.).  Alternatively,
> you could just reject the addition and give instructions on how to setup
> the client to set the properties.  That script already exists and could
> just be modified as needed (see
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/check-mime-type.pl )

Bill,

Ironically, hooks scripts is one thing we don't have access with the SVN
hosted at osgeo.org, on the CollabNet infrastructure.  In order to provide
service guarantees they don't allow developers to run arbitrary scripts on
their systems.  This puts us in the ackward situation of possibly avoiding
their SVN so we can retain a higher level of control and hookability.

The other downside of moving to the collabnet hosted svn is that if OSGeo
does not renew the contract with CollabNet we will need to migrate to another
SVN server (like on outside-collabnet OSGeo systems).  This would likely
result in another set of userid/login changes which I hate.

The current proposal is to migrate to the collabnet hosted svn anyways.

By the way, CollabNet does offer an "svn commit" mailing list, and I have
already hooked this up to CIA so that we will continue to receive CIA
notifications in #gdal for svn commits.

On the original question of keyword expansion setting, we may well setup a
script at some point to reset the keyword expansion properties of all GDAL
source files periodically.  I would add there is no dramatic problem with
$Id$ not getting expanded in a few files.