[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon May 8 11:47:34 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Ironically, hooks scripts is one thing we don't have access with the SVN
> hosted at osgeo.org, on the CollabNet infrastructure.  In order to provide
> service guarantees they don't allow developers to run arbitrary scripts on
> their systems.  This puts us in the ackward situation of possibly avoiding
> their SVN so we can retain a higher level of control and hookability.
>
> The other downside of moving to the collabnet hosted svn is that if OSGeo
> does not renew the contract with CollabNet we will need to migrate to
> another
> SVN server (like on outside-collabnet OSGeo systems).  This would likely
> result in another set of userid/login changes which I hate.
>
> The current proposal is to migrate to the collabnet hosted svn anyways.

Um... it's not the first time that we (OSGeo) hit a wall with Collabnet
tools not working the way we want. I'm starting to think that Collabnet
may be good for big projects backed in large part by corporations such
as Open Office, MapGuide OS, etc, but may not work so well for smaller
open source projects driven by geeks. After all, the whole reason why we
are in open source is because we want the ability to lift the hood and
tweak our tools the way we want, it's odd that the same people would
accept to host their project infrastructure in a black box.

If we're going to have to setup our own SVN server eventually because
Collabnet isn't flexible enough then why don't we just wait a little
longer and see what will happen with the OSGeo infrastructure. The
MapTools CVS works fine for now (I think), and you have full control on
your repository.

> On the original question of keyword expansion setting, we may well setup a
> script at some point to reset the keyword expansion properties of all GDAL
> source files periodically.  I would add there is no dramatic problem with
> $Id$ not getting expanded in a few files.

If we went to the Collabnet SVN then I would much prefer that instead of
requiring that all developers modify their local SVN config files.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/