[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue May 9 15:26:50 EDT 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> If I understood correctly, if I don't edit my local SVN config and then
> create/commit a new file to the GDAL repository, then the auto props may
> not be set on it, and the "$Id: $" (for instance) would not be handled
> properly, is that right? If yes then I'm very disappointed.

No. If someone (e.g. during import/add files) will fire:
svn propset svn:keywords "Id" file.cpp

then this information is stored and also revisioned, so noone needs to
repeate setting this property.

It's simple to assign SVN properties using regexp patterns with help of
find/grep.

> With respect to the "$Id: $", should we not modify our std headers to
> use whatever is the SVN equivalent instead of relying on all developers
> maintaining their config locally to contain whatever auto prop the
> project requires for $Id: $ to work?

Do you mean that using SVN $Id$ requires every developer to set his own
personal config file?

> I checkout CVS copies of projects
> to new systems all the time and I don't want to have to copy/edit my SVN
> config everytime I go to a new system.

And you don't have to do it with SVN too.
SVN personal config files contains only general settings, per user = for
every run of svn command.
Similarly to (almost) every config files on Unix, it's divided to global
(system-wide) and local configuration file.
So, if you don't want, you don't have to use your local config file, and
everything should work.

Details:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.html#svn.advanced.confarea

Cheers