[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed May 10 13:36:03 EDT 2006

Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>
>>If I understood correctly, if I don't edit my local SVN config and then
>>create/commit a new file to the GDAL repository, then the auto props may
>>not be set on it, and the "$Id: $" (for instance) would not be handled
>>properly, is that right? If yes then I'm very disappointed.
>

> No. If someone (e.g. during import/add files) will fire:
> svn propset svn:keywords "Id" file.cpp
>
> then this information is stored and also revisioned, so noone needs to
> repeate setting this property.
>
> It's simple to assign SVN properties using regexp patterns with help of
> find/grep.

I undertand that once a property is set on a given file then it applies
to everyone using this file in the repository. This makes sense and is
the bare minimum that SVN needs to provide.

However, what I meant was that if I, as a developer, create a new
file.cpp that didn't exist before, and I add this file to the
repository, then the properties won't be set automatically on the file
in the repository unless I modify my local SVN config to automatically
set those properties on all new files that I create. I find that this is
an annoying limitation, and the best workaround suggested so far (by
Frank) would be to have a script run daily on the repository that
applies the properties to all new files. Unfortunately this is a hack,
not really a clean a solution.

(I found out later that SVN supports pre/post commit hooks in which we
could have set the properties but because Collabnet won't let us add our
own hooks on the server this is not an option for us)

>>With respect to the "$Id: $", should we not modify our std headers to
>>use whatever is the SVN equivalent instead of relying on all developers
>>maintaining their config locally to contain whatever auto prop the
>>project requires for $Id: $ to work?
>

> Do you mean that using SVN $Id$ requires every developer to set his own
> personal config file?

Yes, this is what I meant, unless Frank implements a script that runs
daily to force the properties on all new files in the repository (see
what I just wrote above).

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette