[Gdal-dev] gdal ngpython win32

Didrik Pinte dpinte at itae.be
Thu May 11 07:58:47 EDT 2006

hi guys,

i've tried to compile the ng-python on win32.

Here is the step-by-step actions :

0. cd my_gdal_build_dir
1. edit nmake.opt to point to my swig 1.3.29 install dir
2. nmake -f makefile.vc clean
3. nmake -f makefile.vc
4. nmake -f makefile.vc install
5. cd swig
6. nmake -f makefile.vc python

It fails because the linker cannot find gdal_i.lib. That's normal
because the library path is create using information that should be in
the setup.ini file created by the gdalvars target of swig/makefile.vc
but it does not insert the information needed by the
swig/python/setup.py file :

The requested information is the following :
if sys.platform == 'win32':
    # Created by the GDAL build process.
    # This was swiped from MapServer
    setupvars = "../setup.ini"

    # Open and read lines from setup.ini.
    try:
      fp = open(setupvars, "r")
    except IOError, e:
      raise IOError, '%s. %s' % (e, "Has GDAL been made?")
    gdal_basedir = fp.readline()
    gdal_version = fp.readline()
    gdal_libs = fp.readline()
    gdal_includes = fp.readline()
    lib_opts = gdal_libs.split()

The basedir, the version, the libs and includes. Here is the content of
the setup.ini file generated :

C:\thubanbuild\Thuban-1.1.0\gdal
#  define GDAL_RELEASE_NAME     "1.3.2.0b2

I'll try to patch the makefile.vc to include the libs and includes.

Is this a know problem ? Nothing seems reported in bugzilla.

Didrik