[Gdal-dev] swig java: c/c++

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 11 14:28:39 EDT 2006

Christine Spietz wrote:
> The problem:
> If I go into the swig/java directoty and call 'make build' there is the
> first error:
> ###
> [ GNUmakefile:3 ../../GDALmake.opt: No such file or directory ]
> ###
> => So I changed in swig/java/GNUmakefile the first include from
> 'GDALmake.opt' to 'GDALmake.opt.in'. This will solve this problem.

Christine,

A more appropriate solution is to run configure to make the GDALmake.opt
file from GDALmake.opt.in.

> Then again I call 'make build' and the next error occurs:
> ###
> swig -Wall -I../inculde -I ../include/java -outdir "org/gdal/gdal"
> -package "org.gdal.gdal" -[@abs_top_builddir -c++ -java -o gdal_wrap.cpp
> gdal.i
> ... /bin/sh: swig: command not found
> make: *** [gdal_wrap.cpp] Error 127
> ###

You will need to have SWIG installed to generate the bindings.  I believe
a very recent version is required though I'm not sure exactly what version
that is.

   http://www.swig.org/

I'm afraid building the java bindings is likely to be complicated.