[Gdal-dev] just trying to install/import

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue May 16 01:26:28 EDT 2006

Jeremy Freund wrote:
> I am trying to use the GDAL API with PythonWin 2.4 on XP. I have yet
> to be able to get to the point at which I can type "import gdal"
> without an error.

Hi Jeremy,

Does it mean you've managed to import gdal module to Python?

> Obviously, there's some sort of path issue or other
> such user error.

Why do you suppose there is some issue?
Is it gdal module not working for you?
What errors exactly are you getting? Please paste them here.

> I've installed the GDAl API by downloading the zip
> file, unzipping and then appending this path to the Python path. What
> more do I need to do to put the GDAL API in the python path?
> Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, the GDAL DLL is required to be in the execution PATH.
Could you tell me what ZIP package are you using?

BTW, do you know there is ready to use distribution of Python and GDAL
(and more) called FWTools (Frank Warmerdam's Tools) available to
download for Linux and Windows:
http://fwtools.maptools.org

I'd recommend you to use FWTools as the easiest and pre-configured GDAL
environment.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Łoskot