[Gdal-dev] Building DLL's on Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 29 20:17:12 EDT 2006

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Sorry, this is not in fact GDAL issue, but I know here are some
> knowledgeable people.
>
> I've tried with a colleague to compile libral on Windows. I've used
> Cygwin and gcc and descriptions on cygwin site. I manage to make a DLL,
> and I can study it using, e.g., dependency walker. But when I try to use
> it I have problems. I tried the simplest possible DLL and then Windows
> Perl & module Win32::API, with which I should be able to open and call
> any DLLs. I can call a function from Kernel32.dll but not from my DLL.
>
> I selected cygwin, because configure works there. configure worked but
> did not produce a DLL (it produces a shared object in linux ok).
>
> Does anybody have good pointers or advice what to try next? The idea is
> to produce a libral DLL, which would then be called from MapWindow in
> this case. GDAL would or is probably also used by MapWindow.

Ari,

My suggestion would be to use VC++ or MINGW to build your DLL.  Cygwin's
gcc includes funky dependencies on a cygwin DLL that *might* not play well
with non-cygwin components.

You may need a customized approach to configuration instead of using
configure, or you may be able to use cygwin configuration with mingw with
appropriate configurations.