[Gdal-dev] Building DLL's on Windows

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue May 30 11:22:55 EDT 2006

Ari Jolma kirjoitti:
> Frank Warmerdam kirjoitti:
>
>> Ari,
>>
>> My suggestion would be to use VC++ or MINGW to build your DLL.  Cygwin's
>> gcc includes funky dependencies on a cygwin DLL that *might* not play well
>> with non-cygwin components.
>>

> libral uses variable length macros, which is AFAIK not in VC++, so MINGW
> is the 2nd choice then. I looked at it and installed it but the docs did
> not look very good for developing DLL's. Is there somewhere a simple
> example (a Makefile or something) of creating a DLL with MinGW?

Bo Victor Thomsen replied offline and pointed me to the page
http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/win/misc/mingw/dll.html and it seems (as Teemu
reports to me) that the simple

\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -shared $source_files -o libral.dll

works. I'm now even tempted to try to build my complete
GDAL+Gtk2+libral+Perl modules -system on Windows.

Ari