[Gdal-dev] performance issue with gdal_translate...

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Wed May 31 14:40:55 EDT 2006

I'm creating a tiled geotif on a large jpg file

gdal_translate -of GTiff -co "TILED=YES" madison_1f_01.jpg madison_1f_01.tif

Input file size is 44400, 42600

Gdal_translate is working, but it's really slow and only using 0.5% of
memory (according to top).

 4350 root      25   0 65228  22m 6252 R  100  0.5   2:18.82 gdal_translate

Since I have a decent system for this, I was wondering what --config
switches I could use to speed this up?

I'm running Fedora Core 5 on a dual xeon 3ghz with 4GB of memory.

Thanks,

John Cole
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.