[Gdal-dev] GDAL and Python

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Thu Nov 2 14:26:00 EST 2006

A couple of (maybe) useful bits of info.

MS4W has an old-gen GDAL module for Windows
Python 2.4.  It's broken up into a number of
pieces, and it might not be that nice to pull
together, but you should be able to get it to work with some elbow grease.

The "old-gen" GDAL bindings do not have support
for numpy.  I will be looking into supporting
this in the "next-gen" GDAL  Python bindings in
the next couple of weeks.  I have a need for this
also, and I would like to get it tucked in before
the next release.  Hopefully, this will remove
any need for folks to use the "old-gen" bindings
for anything other than legacy apps.

Python eggs and setuptools support are something that would be nice.

Howard