[Gdal-dev] GDAL and Python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 2 15:08:01 EST 2006

Howard Butler wrote:
> The "old-gen" GDAL bindings do not have support for numpy.  I will be
> looking into supporting this in the "next-gen" GDAL  Python bindings in
> the next couple of weeks.

Great to hear! Make sure you keep this list updated for help -- I have
little time, but would love to help, with testing if nothing else.

Also as a note, that besides specific numpy support, support for the
"array interface" would be nice -- nothing but num* uses it now, but I
do think that's changing.

By the way, while you're at it, I hope you have a chance to re-structure
the the python binding are installed. Dumping everything into
site-packages is pretty messy -- it should all be a a single gdal package.

That being said, you can use the binding fairly effectively with numpy
anyway, not directly, but by dumping data into numpy arrays with
numpy.fromstring and ReadRaster and the like.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov