[Gdal-dev] GDAL and Python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 2 18:30:54 EST 2006

Howard Butler wrote:
> Is numpy "the winner" in the sense that numeric, numarray, etc have
> fallen to the wayside as far as developer momentum and general use?

In terms of anything new, yes. Legacy projects will probably be using
Numeric or numarray for a while yet, but numpy is clearly the way to go
for anything new.

>  I think going
> forward, GDAL only wants to support one array library, and the array
> interface stuff looks like a great way to do it.

Exactly. If you generate numpy arrays, then Numeric an numarray will be
able to work with them efficiently anyway.

> The next-gen Python bindings are deliberately consistent with the
> old-gen ones.

Well, that's probably a good thing.

> The biggest missing piece has been the numpy/numeric/numarray support,
> which for lots of people is a very key piece of missing functionality.
> I hope to close this gap.

I know it's a big gap for me.

> As far as the imports and package structure, I agree its impact is
> probably minimal, but some might find the churn annoying nonetheless.

I still say go for it!

Are you using SWIG? If so, be sure to check out:

http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/SWIG_and_NumPy

Also, the numpy mailing list folks are very helpful: