[Gdal-dev] GDAL Manifest Changes

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Thu Nov 2 20:29:30 EST 2006

Visual Studio / makefile.vc people:

I've just checked some small changes into makefile.vc, apps/makefile.vc 
and ogr/Makefile to automatically embed manifests into DLLs and EXEs, if 
they are generated. Shouldn't have any effect unless you're using VS 
2005. I also removed the lines I added a few months ago to install 
manifest files into the install directories for the install target, 
since this is no longer necessary. Manifest files are also cleaned up by 
the clean target.

This should eliminate some mysterious "MSVCR80.DLL not found" problems 
you may encounter when linking against GDAL built using VS 2005.

Basically, every DLL and EXE target now has an additional line that 
looks something like:

if exist $(SOME_DLL).manifest mt -manifest $(SOME_DLL).manifest -outputresource:$(SOME_DLL);2


if exist $(SOME_EXE).manifest mt -manifest $(SOME_EXE).manifest -outputresource:$(SOME_EXE);1

Note that this is a subset of the solution found here:


That solution has a lot of extra bells and whistles to enable incremental linking. But full linking doesn't seem to take very long anyway, so I didn't bother including that stuff.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems.



More information about the Gdal-dev mailing list