[Gdal-dev] Release 1.4.0

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 13 12:07:30 EST 2006

Folks,

Following up on Ari's suggestion, I'd like to plan on a new GDAL release
by mid December, perhaps with a first official beta December 1st.

What work are people hoping to get into a next GDAL release?

I believe Howard is hoping to have incorporated numpy support into the
next generation python bindings by the end of this month.

I would like to incorporate PDS (Planetary Data) support.

I would like to see Tamas' OGR SQL changes approved and incorporated.

I would like to do a substantial review of outstanding bug reports, but to
be honest I can't imagine "clearing the plate" in any meaningful way.  At
best, picking off a few of the easier problems and fixing them.

I am also hopeful that we would have our transition to SVN immediately
following a GDAL 1.3.3 release,

In fact, I would like to call the next release 1.4.0 instead of 1.3.3,
and thereafter using point releases (1.4.1, 1.4.2) as simple bug fixes
releases against a 1.4 stable branch while new development occurs in a
trunk that would eventually become 1.5.0.  This is more in keeping with
the approach used very successfully in mapserver.  It also follows Daniel's
past suggestion that new version numbers aren't really all that expensive.
:-)