[Gdal-dev] LOCALE dependent segfault in OGR

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Thu Nov 23 06:01:50 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 04:54:54PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> after a new installation of Mandriva 2007 I found some fancy bug (or
> whatever), apparently related to the LOCALE:

Markus,

I think it is related to decimal point problem. It seems that De locale
uses comma as a decimal delimiter:

$ LC_NUMERIC=de_DE locale -k LC_NUMERIC
decimal_point=","
thousands_sep="."
grouping=3;3
numeric-decimal-point-wc=44
numeric-thousands-sep-wc=46
numeric-codeset="ISO-8859-1"

There are many atof() calls spreaded around in OGR core and in drivers
and I am a bit hesitant to convert all of them to CPLAtof() which is
locale independent. Could you upload your shape file somewhere? Probably
it will be enough to change atof() in the shape driver only. Also it is
starnge thar OGR is not resistant to this kind of problem, probably we
have different isssue here.

Best regards,
Andrey

--