[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr MapINfo bug?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 24 18:51:45 EST 2006

Bill Thoen wrote:
> Ogr2ogr doesn't appear to work correctly for MapInfo output. I have a
> PostGIS table of polygons, but when I issue the following:
>
> ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" test.tab "PG:dbname=spatial1" -sql "select
> the_geom, id, gridcode from adams_v1 where gridcode=72 limit 50"
>
> I get a MapInfo table with 50 records, but no map features. When I dump
> this same selection as a shape file, the associated polygons come through
> just fine. So, is this a known bug? Is there a newer version of GDAL since
> 1.3.2? Can I get a newer version of just ogr2ogr?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Bill,

I'm not sure why this would be happening.  Can you translate the shapefile to
a mapinfo file?  If not, then perhaps you could file a bug with the shapefile
attached as the example?

BTW, getting a new ogr2ogr executable would likely not help as I presume any
meaningful changes would be in the GDAL dll/shared library, not the mainline
executable.  You might want to try using the FWTools ogr2ogr to see if it
helps - it is built from the very latest CVS source code.