[Gdal-dev] Motion: To approve RFC 6 - Geometry and Feature style as OGR Special Fields

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:04:57 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

Since we have not too much time to waste, according to RFC 1 I declare
that all of the PSC members were give a vote and no -1 were got. I
announce that the proposal was accepted as receiving +3 with the
following voting history:

Frank +1
Daniel +1
Howard +0
Andrey +1

Daniel,

Certainly the OGR SQL documentation (ogr_sql.dox) will be updated
according to these changes. This beaviour (that the special field
supersedes the original with the same name) is the same as FID behaves
in the current implementation.

This RFC did not address to change any of the existing applications
like ogrinfo and I think it would not give us more help than reading
the docs carefully. Currently the possibility that FID conflicts is
much higher than the newly introduced OGR_ prefixed fields.
But hopefully implementing an alias functionality would help to handle
this issue properly.

Best Regards,

Tamas Szekeres