[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr MapINfo bug? - FIXED!

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Nov 30 17:46:10 EST 2006

Thanks Frank,

Whatever you changed in yesterday's daily GDAL build worked! Now when I try:

ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File"
  -sql "select * from counties where fips in ('17055','17199','17077');"
  -a_srs WGS84 test.tab "PG:dbname=spatial1"

or

ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File"
  -where "fips in ('17055','17199','17077')"
  -a_srs WGS84 test.tab "PG:dbname=spatial1" counties

I now get all the map features with the data. This was not producing map
features before. I think one still needs to specify an output SRS, because
ogrinfo still says that the geometry and SRS are unknown when you use an
asterisk with the -sql switch, but valid geometries are produced now
nevertheless.

But there is still one glitch with the data. The size of all the output
text fields goes up to 255 characters, even if they were specified as
varchar(5), varchar(30), etc. in the Postgres data file. If I stored these
as char(5), char(30), etc. would the sizes be preserved?

Thanks for the speedy fix!!

- Bill Thoen