[Gdal-dev] French translation of the GDAl documentation

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Mon Oct 23 05:16:15 EDT 2006

Le Lundi 23 Octobre 2006 00:43, Frank Warmerdam a écrit :
> Jacolin Yves wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I begin to translate the gdal doc in french a few monthes ago. I would
> > like to know if the licence allow me to do it and if I can use the
> > english files to give you my final french translation (if your are
> > interested to) ?
>
> Yves,
>
> There is no explicit license for the web site stuff on the web site, but as
> part of the source tree I think of it being under the same MIT/X license as
> the source code.   So you can definitely produce translations, etc.
Ok Thank you.

> I haven't thought too much about translations.  Andrey has some some
> translation for a Russian version of the web site, primarily (as I
> understand it) by producing a "ru" version of various gdal/doc files in
> gdal/doc/ru and having them references by selecting Russian from the main
> index page.
>
> I see no problem with using a similar approach for French if you would
> like.
> My initial impression would be that the most useful things to translate
> would be the user oriented documentation (describing utilities, etc).  One
> problem is that the driver documents - important for users - are
> distributed all over the place in the actual driver directories.

Well, tell me how you want I use these files. It is ok for me. At the begining
I would like to write one document in OOo format (as I began to do it). I can
use your file, if you want, or send you the final document.
> The main concern with translations is that it will be hard to keep them up
> to date as the English content changes.
That's why I begin to write one document, independantly of the website. If a
first document exist in french, a lot of people won't ask for simple
question, or to know what we can do with gdal in french forum :-)

Tell me what you think about this.

Regards,

Y.
--