[Gdal-dev] Visual Studio Project Files

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Wed Sep 13 16:35:17 EDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:18:36 +0100, "Roger James"

> Both Ben Discoe and I have done work on this. This has been mentioned on
> this list occasionally in the past.
>
> Ben's files are available for download the "Virtual Terrain Project"
> site.
> http://vterrain.org/dist/gdal132_vc71.zip
>
> I have some slightly updated versions of these files that you are welcome
> have if you want them.
>
> I am not sure how many people are using VS 2005 yet. But VC7.1 (2003) is
> probably a good starting format.

I have to say that I'm personally really only interested in the VS 2005
project files. I'm also using C# 2.0, which requires VS 2005, so that's
my platform of choice. VS 2005 also seems to be the point at which nmake
starts to break down due to manifest issues and so forth. Unfortunately
the 2003 and 2005 project files are not directly compatible, though VS
2005 can import 2003 projects into 2005 format. Brian and Roger's work
on 2003 will undoubtedly make an excellent starting point however.

One idea is to have both 2003 and 2005 project files within the GDAL
source tree, e.g. in gdal/visual_studio/2003 and
gdal/visual_studio/2005. An objection might be that this might pose
issues with keeping both sets of build files up to date, but if there
are going to be project files for both 2003 and 2005 floating around
anyway for different users, why not have them in the official source
tree? The two sets of files are different but don't take up a lot of
space. For people who don't use Visual Studio, the only apparent change
will be the appearance of a top level visual_studio directory with some
XML files in it. The rest of the GDAL source tree would be unaffected.

But whatever we do, I'd like Frank or one of his deputies to chime in
before I do anything like adding a new top level directory to GDAL. On
that note, are we still using the CVS repository at maptools.org? I
noticed an RFC about switching over to Subversion.

I'll do some more background research on config issues etc.

Cheers,

Sy