[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" -- Does this even work at all?!?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sat Sep 16 17:03:26 EDT 2006

I've got a spatial database in postgres that I can extract to shp
format, no problem. But when I try:

ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" napp1.tab PG:dbname=spatial2 napp1

it appears to build a MapInfo TAB file with no errors (I've read the
caveats on http://ogr.maptools.org/drv_mitab.html, and that page wasn't
easy to find either). But when I try to open it in MapInfo 8.5, I get an
error "Unable to open table napp1.tab." The problem is not with the .tab
or .dat file; if I rename the .id and .map to something else, I can open
that table as if it were non-mappable table.

When I check the table with ogrinfo, it appeasrs normal with a
geographic coordinate system (WGS 84) with units in degrees -- i.e.
pretty basic. The map features are simple MULTIPOLYGON types. I've tried
all kinds of variations to try and get a MapInfo table out of this
utility, but so far the only way that works is to dump it as shp and
then convert it with *MapInfo's* conversion utility. Not what I was
hoping for.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or suggest something I can try
to get it to work?