[Gdal-dev] OCI-geometry recognition

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Thu Sep 21 09:48:10 EDT 2006

Hello Frank,

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:26:18 -0400 Frank Warmerdam
<warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Stephan Holl wrote:
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > I am working with an Oracle db storing geographic data. When
> > copying a point-shapefile into Oracle using ogr2ogr everything is
> > fine.
> >
> > ogr2ogr -f "OCI" -nlt POINT -nln spearfish_bugsites
> > OCI:usr/pwd at oracle bugsites.shp
> >
> > Querying the database with ogrinfo gives the following (strange)
> > result about the geometry:
> >
> > ogrinfo -al -so OCI:usr/pwd at oracle spearfish_bugsites
> > INFO: Open of `OCI:usr/pwd at oracle'
> > using driver `OCI' successful.
> > Layer name: SPEARFISH_BUGSITES
> > Geometry: Unknown (any)
> >          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Is this an error on my side using ogr2ogr or some Oracle-oddities?
> >
> > I found this problematic when I tryed to load a layer directly into
> > QGIS, which consequently answers
> > UNKNOWN WKBTYPE ENCOUNTERED.
> >
> > What can I do?
>
> Stephan,
>
> I am not aware of a dependable way of determining the geometry type
> of an oracle geometry column.  So the driver just returns wkbUnknown
> which means any geometry type may appear.

OK. Thanks for that. I did not know.

> This is not uncommon with different kinds of drivers, so if QGIS
> can't handle it, I think QGIS should be improved.

In what way? That it can deal with wkbUnknown or that it can 'identify'
the correct geometry by itself?

TIA

	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508