[Gdal-dev] NITF JPEG Compression

Alan Stewart astewart at TerraGoTech.com
Mon Sep 25 16:51:24 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> I have committed preliminary support to the GDAL NITF driver for JPEG
> (C3) compressed images.  This includes "single blocked" (one big tile) and
> multi-blocked images.  It only works for 8bit, not 12/16 bit images.  It
> does not (as far as I understand it) support lossly compressed jpeg.  The
> support is read-only, not for export.
>
> I am interested in reports of problems with the support.

I've downloaded and build gdal-1.3.2 on Windows XP. All the JPEG images
seem to be failing in the sample file set posted at
<http://www.gwg.nga.mil/ntb/baseline/software/samplefile.html>. For
example, in the NITF 2.0 section, U_1105A, U_1025A, U_1033A and U_1036A
fail.

Should I be using the external JPEG library support I see in nmake.opt?

Thanks...

--

 Alan Stewart
 Senior Software Architect