[Gdal-dev] NITF JPEG Compression

Alan Stewart astewart at TerraGoTech.com
Tue Sep 26 14:54:15 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> The jpeg in nitf support was implemented after the 1.3.2 release.  You
> can
> grab a nightly CVS snapshot to test it out.  It should work with either
> the internal libjpeg, or an external one.  No need to alter your
> configuration
> for this.
Thanks, many of the C3-compressed files work with the 2006.09.26 snapshot.

However, I am frequently seeing two JPEG-related errors from gdal_translate:

ERROR 6: SetColorInterpretation() not supported for this dataset.

and

ERROR 1: libjpeg: Unsupported JPEG data precision 12

Also, files where before gdal_translate failed with:

ERROR 1: The file i_3051e.ntf appears to be an NITF file, but no image
blocks were found on it.  GDAL cannot utilize non-image
NITF files.
GDALOpen failed - 1
The file i_3051e.ntf appears to be an NITF file, but no image
blocks were found on it.  GDAL cannot utilize non-image
NITF files.

now cause an abend - Windows asks if you want to report the error to
Microsoft - with:

Warning 1: The file i_3051e.ntf appears to be an NITF file, but no image
blocks were found on it.
ERROR 5: GDALDataset::GetRasterBand(1) - Illegal band #

--

 Alan Stewart
 Senior Software Architect